This Excel fishbone diagram template includes six cause groupings that can be adjusted as needed (download here).
Here is a screenshot of the template:
Benefits to Completing this in a Group Setting
There are two big benefits of making a fishbone diagram in a group setting –
- Buy-in. Soliciting and noting everyone’s ideas around possible causes will create buy-in from people who may otherwise feel that their voices are not being heard. This buy-in will result in more energy being focused on the problem at hand, and other problems in the future.
- Better Insight. The insight that comes from a group far exceeds that of individuals, and the result is faster problem solving.
Using the Template
- Agree on the problem statement as a group, and place it at the head of the diagram (the far right tip).
- Ask the group for their input. What things are contributing to this problem?
- Mention to the group that all ideas should be captured, before the group decides which ones should be investigated further.
- Don’t worry about grouping the ideas yet – ideas can be organized in cause groups (manpower, machine, etc.) after all ideas are gathered.
Most importantly, take action. The meeting will pay for itself many times over, but only if investigative and corrective actions are taken coming out of the meeting.
Related: 5-Why Training PPT